Re: Making netinst CDs Not Suck

sön 2003-04-06 klockan 12.31 skrev Petter Reinholdtsen:
> [Martin Sjögren]
> >>
> >> And what would contain this file ? a list of udebs ? a name of an
> >> install scenario ?
> >
> > A list of udebs, sorry for being unclear. One udeb name per line.
>
> I like this idea.  But I think the files should be named anna_include
> and anna_exclude to be consistent with the base_include and
> base_exclude files already used by base-installer.
>
> The udebs listed in anna_include should be tagged for installation,
> and the packages in anna_exclude should be untagged if they where
> tagged for installation.

Good idea.

> This will of course only work for CD installs.  Is there a way to get
> similar behaviour for network installs?

Well, no difference really, net-retriever can try to download
corresponding files from a pre-determined location in an archive. Talk
to the archive people.

> Hm, perhaps 'anna' is a bad prefix for this?  udeb_include and
> udeb_exclude might be better names.

Good idea.

anna's algorithm would then be this.
1. Start with all packages in asklist, and an empty instlist.
2. Remove from asklist, all obviously broken packages (no package name,
no filename, ...), all packages that are already installed, packages
like rootskel and cdebconf that should never be upgraded, and kernel
module packages that have the wrong version.
3. Move from asklist to instlist, the packages mentioned in
udeb_include.
4. Move from asklist to instlist, all kernel module packages (since the
ones left have the right version).
5. Move from instlist to asklist, the packages mentioned in
udeb_exclude.
6. Resolve dependencies in instlist and move the necessary packages from
asklist to instlist.
7. Ask the user for which packages in asklist that should be moved to
instlist.
8. Resolve dependencies in instlist again, and move the necessary
packages from asklist to instlist.

Does that sound reasonable?

/Martin
--