Re: Discover 1.5-2 pre-release available

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 08:34:51PM +0100, Martin Sj?gren wrote:
> > I will be uploading the Discover 2.x debs to experimental until the
> > debian-installer team doesn't need Discover 1.x anymore.
>
> I must have missed this, what d-i packages absolutely must use discover
> 1.x and won't work with 2.x with minimum changes? ethdetect uses
> /usr/share/discover/*.lst and reduces them to ethernet-only, is that it?
> Are there any others?

I'm not the best person to ask, but perhaps the other folks on
debian-boot can answer this.

> I notice that your discover-data package on
> hackers.progeny.com/~branden/discover2 also contain the *.lst files, is
> that for backwards compatability and are actually not used?

Yes, the .lst files are there for backwards compatibility so that
discover 2.x packages don't have to Conflict with discover-data (<< 2).

The backwards-compatibility can be dumped once no one needs
discover-data anymore.

> How hard would it be to write scripts that reduce the xml files in
> discover2?

In full generality, probably not easy.  We've given it some thought here
at Progeny.

> There's a lst2xml script, can't we just reduce the *.lst files and use
> lst2xml?

The only problem with that is that we weren't planning on pushing all
updates to both the .xml and .lst data files.  So they will get out of
sync.

> I'd say we need discover2 (8139too anyone?) at some point, why not deal
> with the breakage now?

I think that's the best way forward, but I didn't want to present the
debian-installer team with an ultimatium ("migrate to Discover 2.x now
or see everything break in unstable").  That would be kind of rude.

Let us know what you need in the Discover department, and we'll try to
accomodate you.  Also, be sure to tell us when you don't need Discover
1.x anymore -- it will then be safe to push Discover 2.x to Debian
unstable.

--
Branden Robinson          | GPG signed/encrypted mail welcome
branden@progeny.com       | 1024D/9C0BCBFB