Re: Discover 1.5-2 pre-release available

tis 2003-03-25 klockan 20.46 skrev Branden Robinson:
> > I notice that your discover-data package on
> > hackers.progeny.com/~branden/discover2 also contain the *.lst files, is
> > that for backwards compatability and are actually not used?
>
> Yes, the .lst files are there for backwards compatibility so that
> discover 2.x packages don't have to Conflict with discover-data (<< 2).
>
> The backwards-compatibility can be dumped once no one needs
> discover-data anymore.

OK, but they are not actually used by the discover program? I don't
think there are any udebs that use the discover data instead of calling
the discover program, so this shouldn't be a problem.

> > How hard would it be to write scripts that reduce the xml files in
> > discover2?
>
> In full generality, probably not easy.  We've given it some thought here
> at Progeny.

We already reduce the *.lst files for ethdetect. If this is done because
space is a concern (1.4M isn't a lot), then going xml kinda sucks. Okay,
they compress well, so we'll have to see how it works out. I don't even
know if we need reduction, but what we definitely can reduce away are
the 'unknown' things :-)

> The only problem with that is that we weren't planning on pushing all
> updates to both the .xml and .lst data files.  So they will get out of
> sync.

Not too surprising, I guess, since there's no 1-1 mapping between the
.lst and .xml files...

> > I'd say we need discover2 (8139too anyone?) at some point, why not deal
> > with the breakage now?
>
> I think that's the best way forward, but I didn't want to present the
> debian-installer team with an ultimatium ("migrate to Discover 2.x now
> or see everything break in unstable").  That would be kind of rude.

:-)

> Let us know what you need in the Discover department, and we'll try to
> accomodate you.  Also, be sure to tell us when you don't need Discover
> 1.x anymore -- it will then be safe to push Discover 2.x to Debian
> unstable.

Agreed. I think ethdetect is the most critical thing to get working, and
I'll try to have a look at it.

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren