Discover 1.5-2 pre-release available

A pre-release (source code only) of Discover 1.5-2 is available:

  http://hackers.progeny.com/~branden/discover-1.5-2pre.tar.gz

The reason this isn't a package release is because the GNU autotools
have changed sufficiently in unstable to cause problems.

If someone from the debian-installer team would like to take this source
tarball and prepare some patches for it, I'd be most appreciatve.
(Alternatively, if there's something simple I'm overlooking, please let
me know.)

What we generally do is cvs export (which is what this is), then run
"autogen.sh" to get the source tree in shape for a dpkg-source -b.
However, the GNU autotools have moved forward incompatibly over the past
several motnhs.

Here's the changelog so far:

discover (1.5-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * new upstream version
  * Thanks to Tollef Fog Heen for all the NMUs!
  * Acknowledge NMU-fixed bugs:
    + discover-udeb is now available (Closes: #110461)
    + discover's postinst does not fail if the init script fails
      (Closes: #153656)
    + discover now depends on dash as an alternative to ash (Closes: #162747)
    + discover-udeb puts the library in /lib, not /usr/lib (Closes: #168858)

  * discover/Makefile.am: identify the linuxrc script as "pkgdata_SCRIPTS" and
    include this variable in EXTRA_DIST (thanks, Petter Reinholdtsen)
    (Closes: #152604)
  * discover/discover.init:
    - Issue warning when unable to link detected CD/DVD devices to numbered
      mountpoints (e.g., /dev/hdc -> /cdrom0) rather than permitting failure
      to kill the init script.
    - Make clear that failure to link /cdrom0 to /cdrom is not a fatal error.
    - Warn, do not fail, if we are unable to link /dev/cdrom to /dev/cdrom0.
    - Don't bother with all the $CDROM_BASE_MOUNTPOINT linkage if /proc/mounts
      is not readable for us to determine whether there are already mounted
      filesystems where we want to work.  (Issue warning if this is the case.)
    - Warn, do not fail, if we learn that there is already a filesystem
      mounted where we want to create our $CDROM_BASE_MOUNTPOINT/cdrom
      symlink. (Closes: #169264)
    - Issue explicit warning if /proc/mounts says something is already mounted
      at $CDROM_BASE_MOUNTPOINT/cdrom.
    - Rearrange a potentially confusing control structure.
    - Clarify the "skipping" message when a module is unavailable.
    - Sort the list of cdrom devices detected by discover before creating
      device mountpoint (thanks, Petter Reinholdtsen). (Closes: #182009)
    - Use one sed expression instead of a sed|grep|cut pipeline to
      populate the ARGUMENTS variable.
    - Simplify construction of the list of modules we're supposed
      to skip.
    - Greatly simplify the skip() function, reducing it to a simple
      echo|grep pipeline.
    - Previous three fixes courtesy of an anonymous bug submitter.
      (Closes: #166460)
    - Disregard "ignore" or "unknown" modules.
    - Drop Discover 0.9.7 compatibility (Discover 1.1 is what was
      released with woody, so 0.9.7 is *really* ancient).
    - Consistent style for shell control structures.
  * lib/cpu.c:
    - Initialize a previously-uninitialized pointer.
    - Don't break out of the loop after detecting the first CPU.
      (Closes: #160658)
    - Thanks to Thomas Poindessous for this patch.

  * debian/discover.templates:
    - Mention that the link manipulation is only done "if possible".
  * debian/rules: remove special handling of the linuxrc script, now handled
    "upstream" (by discover/Makefile.am)

 -- Branden Robinson <branden@progeny.com>  Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:55:31 -0500

--
Branden Robinson          | GPG signed/encrypted mail welcome
branden@progeny.com       | 1024D/9C0BCBFB