Is it wise to use discover in d-i?

When checking the list of bugs filed against discover in BTS, I start
to wonder if it is wise to base the d-i HW detection on a package that
seem to lack active maintainers.  Some of the bugs are more than a
year old.  Several bugs have been fixed in NMU without being included
in a new maintainer release.

I suspect a lot of this is due to the release of discover2, but we are
still waiting for that one.

Is it only me being concerned about the state of discover?  Is there
anything more I can do to help?

I've tried to submit patches into BTS, but the motivation wears off
when no new version with the patches included are uploaded.  I've done
some maintainer-approved NMUs, but would really like these fixed to be
included in the maintained version, and perhaps pushed upstream.