Re: Is it wise to use discover in d-i?

Hello,

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 04:02:19PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> When checking the list of bugs filed against discover in BTS, I start
> to wonder if it is wise to base the d-i HW detection on a package that
> seem to lack active maintainers.  Some of the bugs are more than a
> year old.  Several bugs have been fixed in NMU without being included
> in a new maintainer release.
true. very bad situation. Specially most of the newer hardware isn't
detected (see also discover-data here).

> Is it only me being concerned about the state of discover?  Is there
> anything more I can do to help?
Coudn't we use the RedHat discovering tool? I thing it's better under
development and support more hardware (RedHat needs to extend the
supported haradware everytime)

> I've tried to submit patches into BTS, but the motivation wears off
> when no new version with the patches included are uploaded.  I've done
> some maintainer-approved NMUs, but would really like these fixed to be
> included in the maintained version, and perhaps pushed upstream.
Well, I have the same problem here. My bugreport is also stalled
(nothing heard about it)

Bye
Thorsten

--