Re: Using debian/po and intltool-merge for translating the package descriptions

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 10:21:30AM +0100, Martin Sjögren wrote:
> fre 2003-03-21 klockan 09.39 skrev Martin Quinson:
> > > You could run po2debconf instead, which is essentially a wrapper script
> > > around intltool-merge.
> >
> > So, po2debconf works for package descriptions ? It's really a po2rfc822 ?
> > Nice to hear!
>
> So it seems. :-)

> > > I concur.
> > > Are localized fields harmless in control files?
> >
> > Yup, same question here. Does udpkg handle those files?
>
> base-installer has a
>   XB-Description-nb: Installer basesystemet
> field. Yes, udpkg handles them.

Fine.

> > But also, will those descriptions be presented to the users during the
> > installation (in which case I think udpkg should handle this) or not (in
> > which case the code to handle this may be unneeded).
>
> main-menu takes care of this. Well, not with -LL.UTF-8, but that's
> easily changed.
>
> Either we have to make sure that we get the XB- prepended to the
> localized description headers, or we tap into dh_gencontrol and only do
> it in the target file (debian/$(PACKAGE)/DEBIAN/control). The latter
> sounds most interesting to me.

I prefer the former; debian/control must be edited to replace
Description by _Description.
So we could add something like:
   po2debconf debian/control.in | sed -e 's/^Description-/XB-Description-/' > debian/control
   dh_gencontrol

I am working to make po-debconf more generic (#171377), and when it is
done I will certainly add a new po2control script.

Denis