Re: Using debian/po and intltool-merge for translating the package descriptions

fre 2003-03-21 klockan 09.39 skrev Martin Quinson:
> > You could run po2debconf instead, which is essentially a wrapper script
> > around intltool-merge.
>
> So, po2debconf works for package descriptions ? It's really a po2rfc822 ?
> Nice to hear!

So it seems. :-)

> > > Is this something we want to use? It's really nice to have everything in
> > > the same po file, and nice for translators that rather work in their
> > > favourite character set instead of utf-8.
> >
> > I concur.
> > Are localized fields harmless in control files?
>
> Yup, same question here. Does udpkg handle those files?

base-installer has a
  XB-Description-nb: Installer basesystemet
field. Yes, udpkg handles them.

> But also, will those descriptions be presented to the users during the
> installation (in which case I think udpkg should handle this) or not (in
> which case the code to handle this may be unneeded).

main-menu takes care of this. Well, not with -LL.UTF-8, but that's
easily changed.

Either we have to make sure that we get the XB- prepended to the
localized description headers, or we tap into dh_gencontrol and only do
it in the target file (debian/$(PACKAGE)/DEBIAN/control). The latter
sounds most interesting to me.

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren