Re: Post-woody

Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> | As you may or may not know, I will no longer have a "position of
> | responsibility" in the installation system after Woody.  Joey Hess has
> | volunteer for this position, or at least he did about 18 months ago.
> | I assume he's still for it -- hopefully the folks on this list agree
> | with that.
>
> Joey has offered me the position of technical lead on d-i, since he
> has too many other things taking up his time, and I have said yes.
> Assuming that nobody has any big objections, that is.

I think that Tollef has been doing a great job already lately, and it's
only fair that he should be saddled with it officially. :-) I will
continue to participate with d-i of course, especially in helping with
design issues and the parts I am the maintainer of.

> | I worry whether debian-installer can have the maturity for a Woody+1
> | release, supposing we were going for a shorter release cycle of 6
> | months.  You have to consider that the testing period is at least 3
> | months, apparently, and that would mean that we would have a
> | feature-complete debian-installer in 3 months, aka 12 weeks, which I
> | don't think is long enough.
>
> I think we should move to debian-installer, even though it will take
> longer time to work out.  People want to do some new development, d-i
> is getting closer to working (as in actually being able to install
> systems in a mostly-reliable way) by the day and I don't think pushing
> boot-floppies for yet another iteration would be good at all.  IMO,
> that is.

It feels to me like a recipe for putting us in exactly the position
we're in now, a year or however long later, once sarge has released. We
have to work on d-i *sometime*, and now is clearly the time.

Of course I share aph's worries, particularly when all the architectures
are taken into account.

--
see shy jo