Re: Post-woody

* "Christian T. Steigies"

| On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 10:31:32AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
| >
| > I think we should move to debian-installer, even though it will take
| > longer time to work out.  People want to do some new development, d-i
| > is getting closer to working (as in actually being able to install
| > systems in a mostly-reliable way) by the day and I don't think pushing
| > boot-floppies for yet another iteration would be good at all.  IMO,
| > that is.
|
| getting closer to working... on i386?

yes, since that is the arch I have at home.  Once I have that working,
I'll look into SPARC at least, maybe ppc as well.  Unless somebody
beats me to it, obviously. :)

| Or has it been tested on other arches as well? I've never heard much
| about d-i other than the commit messages.  Just speaking for myself
| here, but I think it has never been tested on m68k, and we do not
| want to get rid of our oldest port just yet, do we?  ;-)

of course we won't, but most of the code should be portable.  Except
for the «install boot loader stuff» and make bootable floppy and those
steps.

| If you think its semi-usable, maybe you could send some instructions on what
| to check out, special build instructions, usage documentation, estimated
| build time, ... I would give it a shot in a free moment.

it builds in a couple of minutes on my PIII-800 (laptop -> very bad
IO).  It's in debian-boot's cvs, module name is debian-installer.
Take a look at build/README and doc/.  If things aren't explained well
there, ask here or ask me on irc (nick's Mithrandir, #debian-devel or
#debian-boot, OPN) and we'll work it out and document it.

It's in the state that more people might hack on it at least, but
don't expect too much yet.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-