Re: Droping 1200kB boot floppies - who minds?

On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 21:40, Eduard Bloch wrote:
>  - to not break non-ASCII chars, LANG must be either C or a valid
>    xx_YY.UTF-8 locale
>  - LC_CTYPE must be a valid locale string (or I am misguided by the
>    whiptail bug, see below)

I'm not completely convinced about these two.  That sounds to me like
your whiptail is still not fully UTF-8 enabled.

Remember that "de_DE.UTF-8" is not actually a valid locale string while
dbootstrap is running.  From what I remember, the only locale for which
the data files exist is C@utf-8.  The dbootstrap startup script sets
LC_CTYPE=C@utf-8, which is necessary for dbootstrap itself to work, and
this should be inherited by all its children.

If that combination works for you, I suspect it's causing whiptail to
just pass all the UTF-8 codes straight through without really
understanding the characters.  That would probably give you OK results
for Latin languages like German (where the majority of characters are
not accented) but it may not be so good for those that have a higher
density of multibyte codes, like Japanese or Russian.

I should be able to do some real boot-floppies testing myself tomorrow
afternoon.  (The machine I'm using right now has no floppy drive and its
CD-ROM is broken.)  Meantime I'll have a play with whiptail and modconf
in a normal environment and see what's going on.

> +#ifdef USE_LANGUAGE_CHOOSER
> +  old_locale = getenv("LANG");
> +  old_lc_messages = getenv("LC_MESSAGES");
> +  old_lc_messages = getenv("LC_CTYPE");

Looks like you got a bit carried away with the cut'n'paste there.

p.