Re: Things we need from sid

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 09:55:50PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> > > Blah. You should know better than me that this is not true.
> >
> > Please give details.
>
> Please? You have to a) install, b) change fstab, c) change boot loader's
> configuration. Handling with initrd is more dangerous than a kernel with
> statical configuration. There were bugs in make-kpkg which made
> kernel-image-2.4.x series for unuseable for most people. YOU KNOW THIS.
> Manoj tries to do the best job - he often fixed the bugs quickly when I
> reported something (and you often ignored this fixes).

More FUD.  b) is absolutely unnecessary unless you've been listening to
Eduard Bloch and have put crap into it.  c) is something that has to be
done anyway.  IMHO the current preinst/postinst scripts already handle it
satisfactorily.

And the current release of 2.4.17 has no known initrd bugs.

> Go and install with floppy disks, or fetch the packages with an
> osziloscope and a hex editor. Have fun.

I'd like to see you put the base system on floppies...

> > It's funny that you raise tulip, because the tulip driver in 2.2 in fact
> > works much better than the one in 2.4.
>
> Really funny. Once I removed the tulip patch from the
> kernel-patch-ethernet-drivers package, I got a request to readd it.

That's Donald Becker's driver, something completely different and it
doesn't work in 2.4 anyway.

> > As long as the one in 2.2 works to the extent that an installation can
> > be done, this is irrelevant.
>
> How many people do replace the kernel just after the base install?

Probably quite a few.  Anyway, this is a documentation issue.

> > >  - newer USB network hardware is not supported by 2.2.20. Same for other
> > >    possible installation media.
> >
> > Like what?
>
> Count the drivers in 2.4.

All the important USB network drivers are already in 2.2.20.