Re: Things we need from sid

#include <hallo.h>
Herbert Xu wrote on Thu Jan 24, 2002 um 07:59:52PM:

> > So are these an official part of boot-floppies? Should they be being
> > (co?)maintained by Herbert to keep them in sync with the other kernels?

No. I allow to update the package and NMU if I do not respond for >=2
days, but Herbert should keep his hands of it.

> I would be happy to do so if someone can show me why we really need 2.4

I can imagine that you will do, but then I worry about the future
of the package.

> Without initrd, you can include only so many hardware drivers.  And for all
> of the important drivers that I can think of (such as NetGear FA311TX,
> AICRAID, Promise Ultra IDE etc.), the support is already in at least one of
> the latest 2.2 images anyway.

 - This are patches
 - ide patched kernel is reported to hang on some new chipsets while IDE
   detection

> 2. Support for ext3/reiserfs.
>
> IMHO reiserfs simply isn't viable anymore.  So I don't really care

2.4 uses reiserfs-3.6 as default, 2.2.20 does not (and apparently will
never) support it. Imagine someone downloads the Debian stuff to a
ReiserFS partition under SuSE/RedHat (where reiserfs-3.6 has been used
for epochs) and tries to mount it.

> Ext3 does not need boot floppies support.  Conversion after installation
> of a 2.4 kernel is trivial.

Not providing an Ext3 option as-default would damage Debian's reputation.

> 3. Better support for auxiliary hardware such as sound cards.
>
> A 2.4 kernel is only an apt-get install away so this has no place when

Blah. You should know better than me that this is not true.

> If there is another important reason for a 2.4 kernel, please let me know.

As you wish:

 - the 64MB detection limit, AFAIK this has been fixed in 2.4
 - working Plug-and-Play. As someone in the list allready reported, we
   allways have a problem with isapnp cards. Do you want a clueless
   user to change to a second console and work with pnpdump and isapnp
   just to make the damn thing work?
 - network cards. You did include the natsemi driver - wow. But what
   about many other cards and new releases (such as for Tulip cards),
   which are not supported by 2.2.x?
 - new ide chipsets. 2.4 has more and and much stable drivers.
 - newer ISDN drivers. People installing with a (often sold) Fritc-PCIv2
   card would "thank" us for using kernel-2.2.x.
 - newer USB network hardware is not supported by 2.2.20. Same for other
   possible installation media.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Letzte Worte des Computers: "Sind Sie sicher? (J/N)"