Re: Things we need from sid

#include <hallo.h>
Herbert Xu wrote on Fri Jan 25, 2002 um 07:25:13AM:

> >  - This are patches
> >  - ide patched kernel is reported to hang on some new chipsets while IDE
> >    detection
>
> Please give specific details rather than vague recollections.

Both people were newbies - and how should a newbie report something if
he cannot install Debian?

> > 2.4 uses reiserfs-3.6 as default, 2.2.20 does not (and apparently will
> > never) support it. Imagine someone downloads the Debian stuff to a
> > ReiserFS partition under SuSE/RedHat (where reiserfs-3.6 has been used
> > for epochs) and tries to mount it.
>
> Please recall that we're discussing boot floppies here so existing file
> systems do not matter.

If you cannot access the installation source, it does matter.

> > > Ext3 does not need boot floppies support.  Conversion after installation
> > > of a 2.4 kernel is trivial.
> >
> > Not providing an Ext3 option as-default would damage Debian's reputation.
>
> FUD.

Your opinion. Many people have another one.

> > > A 2.4 kernel is only an apt-get install away so this has no place when
> >
> > Blah. You should know better than me that this is not true.
>
> Please give details.

Please? You have to a) install, b) change fstab, c) change boot loader's
configuration. Handling with initrd is more dangerous than a kernel with
statical configuration. There were bugs in make-kpkg which made
kernel-image-2.4.x series for unuseable for most people. YOU KNOW THIS.
Manoj tries to do the best job - he often fixed the bugs quickly when I
reported something (and you often ignored this fixes).

> >  - working Plug-and-Play. As someone in the list allready reported, we
> >    allways have a problem with isapnp cards. Do you want a clueless
> >    user to change to a second console and work with pnpdump and isapnp
> >    just to make the damn thing work?
>
> Not required for installation.

Go and install with floppy disks, or fetch the packages with an
osziloscope and a hex editor. Have fun.

> >  - network cards. You did include the natsemi driver - wow. But what
> >    about many other cards and new releases (such as for Tulip cards),
> >    which are not supported by 2.2.x?
>
> It's funny that you raise tulip, because the tulip driver in 2.2 in fact
> works much better than the one in 2.4.

Really funny. Once I removed the tulip patch from the
kernel-patch-ethernet-drivers package, I got a request to readd it.

> >  - new ide chipsets. 2.4 has more and and much stable drivers.
>
> As long as the one in 2.2 works to the extent that an installation can
> be done, this is irrelevant.

How many people do replace the kernel just after the base install?

> >  - newer ISDN drivers. People installing with a (often sold) Fritc-PCIv2
> >    card would "thank" us for using kernel-2.2.x.
>
> Irrelevant for an installation.

Everything that can fetch data from a public source is relevant for the
installation.

> >  - newer USB network hardware is not supported by 2.2.20. Same for other
> >    possible installation media.
>
> Like what?

Count the drivers in 2.4.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Die 3 goldenen R's bei Microsoft Systemen:
Retry, Reboot, Reinstall .....