Re: URGENT! Install Base System via network: settings wrong

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 05:50:49PM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> >   I then tried a brand new installation, including formatting the partition.
> >In this case, the whole installation, until the base system installation, went
> >smooth.  Not a single error and no hack needed.  At the base system
> >installation, the error message occured once again.
>
> Okay.  First, can you just confirm which version of boot-floppies you were
> using?
>
> >   I'd be glad to do testing, but as for debugging I can't promise anything.
> >What do you mean by debugging (I never tested boot floppies of a machine
> >nor am I familiar with the code;  Can I run it with a debugger?  What is
> >the testing methodology?)
>
> I meant "debugging" in a fairly generic sense, as in figuring out what's wrong.
> A good place to start would be to run the install up to the point where the
> error occurs, then go to a shell prompt and inspect the Release file that
> debootstrap claims is malformed, to see whether it was successfully downloaded
> and contains a valid Components line.
>
> p.

Here are the results of the test, boot-floppies 3.0.18 dated 21.12.2001:

1.  After entering the root floppy, and immediately before the first
    screen (the Debian 3.0 title), the following error messages occured:
    modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
    /lib/modules/2.2.20/modules.dep (no such file or directory)

    I don't know if it has anything to the ``Malformed'' message, I just
    write *anything* I met during installation.

2.  To make kernel configuration minimal I only installed the IDE/ATAPI floppy
    support (I might have skipped that..) and the eepro100.o network module
    (for my network card, which is a must).
    When trying to install these two, I received the following error message:
    /target/usr/sbin/modconf: cannot create:  directory nonexistent.
    This was followed by a ``successful installation'' message, so I assumed
    these errors are not show-stoppers.

3.  When I came to the base system installation, chose network, and then
    chose my mirror site (ftp://ftp.tau.ac.il/pub/OS/Debian, proxy: none,
    port: 8080; proxy & port: didn't change the defaults) came the surprise:

    I did NOT get the ``Malformed Release file'' message.
    It seemed like the installation is going fine (I didn't get to this
    step the previous time I tried to install).
    BTW, this time I was working on a brand new unused partition I have
    /dev/hda4.
    In the previous one (/dev/hda1) I already installed potato from CDs,
    and upgraded (network) to woody, so I don't want this erased.
    I reformatted my swap partition /dev/hda2, just to ensure nothing is
    due to the other installation.

4.  Well, I thought to myself, everything is going fine.
    But then, another surprise:  at_3.1.8-10.deb was corrupt (or so the
    installation system said;  I guess the installation system is wrong,
    or else I couldn't upgrade my potato from that very same site).

    I tried to upgrade from the default http://http.us.debian.org/debian
    site (immediately after the first attempt has failed; i.e., no boot or
    anything in between), but then I received a message that:
    base-config_1.33.7_all.deb was corrupt.
    The same message was issued from http.uk.debian.org .
    Again, I can only assume these messages are wrong and not a problem
    in the installation system.

5.  When all else fails:  I executed a shell.
    I tried:  find / -name Release .
    The only files I found were:
    /target/var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap.invalid_dists_woody_{Release,main_binary-i386_Packages}

    I also tried:  find / -name '*elease*'
    but only the above was found (and /release-notes, which has nothing to do
    with this).

6.  I manually erased the two files I just mentioned, returned to the
    installation system, and tried once again the base system installation.
    And the 3rd surprise:  ``Malformed Release file''.
    I never got this message in the various downloading attempts I had,
    but I got it only after *erased* the two files!

7.  I executed a shell once again, but this time too:  no Release file found.

8.  Attempts to continue the installation at this stage fail and result in
    the ``Malformed Release file''.

Good luck with the debugging, and let me know if I can be of any help
in the testing!

	-- Ariel.

---
Ariel Tankus