Re: URGENT! Install Base System via network: settings wrong

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 04:49:25PM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> >Just to reiterate: I believe the problem was that the http connection
> >process used to download the base system from the internet is broken
> >under woody. The system could not even hit our proxy server, never mind
> >connect to ftp.uk.debian.com
>
> It seems to work for most people.  Are you sure you had your network configured right, including name servers, default gateways and all that kind of stuff?
>
> I think someone who is actually experiencing this problem will need to do a bit
> of debugging for us to make any headway with it.
>
> p.

   In my case, at first there was a problem with network configuration.
However, when I solved it, the problem re-occured.  This was true even after
I deleted the file (The file I refer to is somewhere in /var/lib, named
something like release_..._malformed;  I write it from memory, so I don't
remember the exact name).
   I then tried a brand new installation, including formatting the partition.
In this case, the whole installation, until the base system installation, went
smooth.  Not a single error and no hack needed.  At the base system
installation, the error message occured once again.
   I know the network was fine, because I could download files manually from
ftp sites (including the site I intended to download from) using wget which
is on the installation disks.  I downloaded the Release file this way from
an ftp site, and it looked OK (I don't know if there's anything special I
should have examined, but it didn't look corrupt).

   I'd be glad to do testing, but as for debugging I can't promise anything.
What do you mean by debugging (I never tested boot floppies of a machine
nor am I familiar with the code;  Can I run it with a debugger?  What is
the testing methodology?)

	-- Ariel.

---
Ariel Tankus