Re: new ibook, b-f, kernel 2.4

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 11:57:47AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> Florian Friesdorf <42ff@gmx.net> writes:
>
> > I tried to install woody on my new ibook (G3/600/384MB) with current
> > boot-floppies 3.0.17 over network (in OF: boot enet:bootp,<ip>,yaboot).
> >
> > The kernel is booting fine and the installer gets started. The problem
> > is, I need the network to install, but the gmac driver in 2.2.19 is to
> > old to handle my builtin 10/100 network adapter.
> >
> > So I tweaked around with b-fs and managed to include kernel and
> > modules from kernel-image-2.4.16-powerpc_2.4.16-1_powerpc.deb.
>
> I have been working on a "new-powermac" subarchitecture which will
> use benh's kernel tree.  You can find my current work at:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~walters/debian/installer
>
> I plan to announce it to the -powerpc list in a few days for testing
> after I iron out one last bug.
>
> Florian, I would appreciate it if you could test it before it's
> announced for mass testing :)

From yaboot I choosed install2.2 (yaboot.conf paths slightly changed for
network booting).

Everything went fine, except I wasn't able to reboot the ibook from
within the installer. I unmounted manually and powered it off/on.
btw: is there something similar to CTRL-ALT-DEL on macs?

I now have finally a woody running on my new ibook.

thx
florian

--
     Florian Friesdorf <42ff@gmx.net>
OpenPGP key available on public key servers

------> Save the future of Open Source <------
-> Online-Petition against Software Patents <-
------> http://petition.eurolinux.org <-------