Re: last change in Makefile in utilities/.../po

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 09:33:18PM +0300, Mikhail Sobolev wrote:
> > > If you remove fuzzy flag for the header in all files, those headers will
> > > result in volume increase..
> >
> > That's not true. msgfmt knows about these headers and don't put them in the
> > compiled mo file.
> >
> > msgfmt fr.po -o -|wc -c
> > with fuzzied header: 163740
> > without: 163740
> Mmm...  That means that you are using old gettext.  As of some version of
> gettext, this very header is used for automatic translation of the messages
> between different charsets.  So for example, if I have my messages in KOI8-R,
> while the user has CP1251 environment, the conversion will be automatically
> done for her.
>
> JFYI:
>     w/o fuzzy on header 102613
>     w/  fuzzy on header 102260
>
>     gettext  0.10.39-2

no, I use gettext 0.11-pre2 from the gettext CVS ;) and this version makes a
warning when the header is fuzzied. But as it won't go into woody since it's
not ready to be released (it lacks some doc) yet, I assume you are right.

Bye, Mt.

--
Un clavier azerty en vaut deux.