Re: Bad floppies on startup

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 02:23:37AM -0800, Grant Bowman wrote:
> Thanks for your help, Chris.
>
> * Chris Tillman <tillman@azstarnet.com> [011124 00:32]:
> > There is no base.tgz for woody (not yet anyway). You configure the
> > network, then install base from the installer over the network.
>
> Great, no need for base at all in my case.
>
> > Ohhhh. You burned rescue.bin on the floppy, like i386. Well for these
> > machines you need to burn boot-floppy-hfs instead. You burn it the
> > [...]
>
> Ah, I got it running right off, thanks.
>
> The boot-floppy-hfs isn't mentioned in .../current/doc/install.en.txt at
> all!  I also looked at the .../current/powermac/install.txt file but
> it's not mentioned there either.
>
> So I just filed a bug for this against boot-floppies.  I intend to get
> the boot-floppies CVS and submit a diff as well.  That's major for
> anyone trying to boot without this floppy image!

That's quite an oversight, mea culpa. Your help is appreciated.

> > Definitely. BootX/miBoot are unsupported, Quik only helps after you
> > have Linux installed.
>
> Hmm, well even if BootX is unsupported, it's a great way to boot a
> machine.  I am installing on my mother's machine.  I don't want to touch
> the boot loader unless I know 100% things will be OK.
>
> It turns out after checking on the quik site and on the NetBSD sites
> that my hardware's OF is terrible.  It defaults to using the serial port
> instead of the keyboard and monitor.  Not very helpful when wanting to
> acces the OF.  This probably is because the video is not on the
> motherboard on this model of Power Computing machine, PowerWave.  The
> PowerWave is equivalent to a Tower Pro according to the BSD folks.  I
> need to pull out another computer and give the commands so that it
> defaults to the screen and keyboard, but I haven't yet.

Good point about BootX, if it works, don't knock it. It doesn't work
for me, crashes on startup, so I'm biased. And it really is
unsupported, upstream is off to newer funner stuff, and there's very
few Linuxheads around with working MacOS development environments.

One more gotcha in store; on my PowerCenter machine, where OF is also
only accessible via the modem port, I can reset the values for screen
and kbd using setenv. But guess what? they're meaningless. Next time
it boots, it's back to ttya for both. Same on the 7200. So if that's
the case for you, don't waste a lot of time re-trying. BootX may be
better for dual boot capability on those machines.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |