Re: Bad floppies on startup

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 05:26:16PM -0800, Grant Bowman wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have been using Debian (x86) for a few years now.  I have a Power
> Macintosh I am trying to install onto for the first time.  Since I
> didn't find a base*.tgz for woody, I figured I would at least get the
> machine up on potato.  I would be happy to try to test the woody
> install if I get a base from somewhere.  I would subscribe to
> debian-boot, but it seems like alot of -dev issues.

There is no base.tgz for woody (not yet anyway). You configure the
network, then install base from the installer over the network.

> I am probably doing something stupid or have a floppy hardware
> problem, but here goes...
>
> I am unable to get my BIOS to read the first floppy disk.  I tried
> re-writing to the floppy disk several times using OS 9's diskcopy,
> downloaded the image twice, and wrote to two different floppies for
> rescue.bin.  I also tried to write the image from my i386 machine but it
> didn't help.

If you lock the floppy, and insert it when MacOS is already booted,
does it show you a System, Finder, and zImage file? If not it wasn't
written correctly.

> I saw the boot-floppy-hfs.img file but I can't recall the type & creator
> codes to use for them.  It's been a few years since I did QA for a
> software company on Macs.  I was working at SuSE Linux most recently.  I
> didn't see anything mentioned about the .img file in the installation
> guide.

Ohhhh. You burned rescue.bin on the floppy, like i386. Well for these
machines you need to burn boot-floppy-hfs instead. You burn it the
same way, use rawrite or Disk Copy, or use the attached
AppleScript. You can use your rescue.bin floppy when it asks for the
Kernel if you want.

The instructions are better in the woody manual:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/doc/install.en.html
Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 For PowerPC

> boot disks 2.2.23-2001-04-15 (potato "current")
> Old world PCI PowerPC machine, Power Computing PowerWave 604|120
> 98 MB RAM, external 8 GB SCSI (5.5GB free) CD-ROM
> built-in network card in motherboard.
> Cable modem with access router to the Internet.
>
> Messing with BootX, miBoot and/or Quik is my next strategy, but I wanted
> to check here before diving into these areas.

Definitely. BootX/miBoot are unsupported, Quik only helps after you
have Linux installed.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |