Re: aptitude rather than dselect for Woody, Please?

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 02:38:13PM -0500, Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> was heard to say:
> Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> >  I'm not talking about "console-apt", but about "aptitude".  I see no
> >  reason why it would not support installation from multiple CD's,
> >  provided those CD's are registered by "base-config".  AFAIK, it
> >  supports "dpkg --set-selections"... or something like it, since it
> >  does remember your selections between invocations like dselect does.
>
> Hmm. It remembers selections, but it does not do it by setting values in
> the status file. Instead, it uses /var/state/aptitude/pkgstates.  Oh but
> it looks like it merges in /var/lib/dpkg/status to that file when it is
> run, so that's ok.
>
> If someone wants to arrange for aptitude to be installed by debootstrap
> as part of the base system, I will be happy to make base-config offer it
> along with dselect as options for the second-stage package selector. But
> this needs to be done really quickly if it's done at all.
>
> When did aptitude become such a nice peice of work? Wow.

  Wow.  That made my day.

  Let me know what you decide.  I need to go on a bugfixing spree soon
anyway..

  (I'm not clear on what our current definition of "base" is -- will
   this cause aptitude to be affected by the base freeze?)

  Daniel

|                       "...drums...drums in the deep!"                       |
|                         J. R. R. Tolkien                                    |
\----------------- The Turtle Moves! -- http://www.lspace.org ----------------/