Re: Where O where is my basedebs.tgz?

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 07:39:21PM -0500, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> A user has a Mac with a 200MB harddisk. The disk has three partitions, 100MB
> for MacOS, 80MB for linux, 20MB for linux swap. And maybe 8MB of ram, so no,
> the swap partition can not be used for /var or added to / (this is not the
> typical m68k hardware, but there are also people who want to install linux
> on 4MB macs...)
>
> He downloads the macinstall.tar.gz (6MB) and basedebs.tar.gz (20MB) on his
> mac partition and then starts the installation. Up to the point where the
> first debs from basedebs.tgz (or from the network) are installed, 50MB on
> his linux partition are used, so he has 30MB free space left. basedebs are
> unpackaged from the tar.gz to /var/cache/apt (or the files are downloaded
> via the net and stored there), 10MB space left.

More accurately, basedebs are unpacked into /target/var/cache, using up
around 20MB, then unpacked and installed, eating up around... hrm, some
68MB (on i386 anyway), for a total of:

	26MB on the 100MB MacOS partition
	88MB on the 80MB Linux partition

Which obviously ain't gunna work. Hrm. With the size of base these
days, you probably can only do this from CD (or an NFS mounted mirror,
or _something_ with some space on it somewhere). Note that you're going
to have problems doing network based dist-upgrades on that box too --
you don't have any space to download the new debs. Actually you mightn't
even have space to unpack the new debs before deleting the old libc, etc.

If we're allowed to use a CD (possibly NFS mounted) then that *could*
be done, at least.

Cheers,
aj

 ``Freedom itself was attacked this morning by faceless cowards.
     And freedom will be defended.''   Condolences to all involved.