Re: Problems with building the Alpha-bootdisks

Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 02:27:38PM +0200, Thimo Neubauer wrote:
> > you start with an empty download-directory, because rootdisk.sh only
> > tells apt to download the packages not yet downloaded. This also means
> > that I could fix the problem by downloading the packages manually, but
> > where is the point having the download-stuff if it does not work
> > without manual interaction?
>
> oh i see, i have only done one boot-floppies build with an empty cache
> directory.
>
> i would say the best solution is stop using apt-get install
> --download-only -blah -blah -blah to download packages.  in horribly
> inefficient anyway since it ends up downloading lots of unused
> packages simply to satisfy dependencies that are never needed.
>
> i would replace the apt-get install commands with something like
> (example only):
>
> fake-get()
> {
>     local MIRROR="$(grep '^deb ' sources.list | awk '{print $2}')"
>
>     for i in "$@" ; do
> 	local PACKAGE="$(apt-cache show $i | grep ^File | awk '{print $2}')"
> 	(cd $archive/cache/archives && wget -q "$MIRROR/$PACKAGE")
>     done
> }

Ok, someone else needs to check this sort of approach, test it, and
commit it.  I don't have a big problem with it, in theory.  Whatever
makes building easier ...

> that will only work with a one line sources.list, but i fail to see
> the point of having both unstable and testing in there anyway.

No real point.  Right now we use unstable; when base freezes, we'll
use testing.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>