Re: Problems with building the Alpha-bootdisks

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 02:28:16PM +0200, Thimo Neubauer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 02:33:58PM +0200, H.Heinold wrote:
> > the biggest problems with the alpha bootfloppies is the size of some
> > files. I think libary-reduction on alpha ist really a mess.
>
> What does that mean? Is there a possibility to reduce the size
> further? I'd be very interested, because I'd like to check if the
> bootfloppies work on Alpha.
>
> What are the favorite ways of reducing the disksize anyway? As I'm
> still totally new to boot-disks, can someone tell me where I have to
> go? The lists of what packages have to go on the bootdisk seems to be
> irreducible...
>
> CU
>    Thimo

Hi,

hm I not real porgrammer and the libary-reduction is some kind of magic
for me(I know what it does and which way, but I mean the sourcecode) and
I havent look deeper in it until now. I only started to do something
for the alpha boot-floppies because of the linuxday. We got a DS-20 sponsored
by compaq and I wanted to install it. Unfortunately all bootfloppies available
on the servers where broken, because of the diskdriver match error. Even the
tftp ans root.nfs kernels crash. And for woody there nothing. So I started
some hacks and now the cvs builds *sigh*. Hm you can start to get the cvs
and build a set of your own and the dig in the init.rd(root.bin) which
libaries are much more bigger than as on 386. Than as you know(hopefully)
alpha is 64bit and therefor the binaries are always bigger than
on 32 architecures.

--

Henning Heinold