Re: woddy from disk install problem

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 09:15:45PM -0400, Robert Schweikert wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > Note that unless you are interested in helping to debug the installation
> > process,
>
> I'll be happy to help. Is there a procedure I should follow and if so where is it
> documented?

Basically, you should give a description of the entire process in as much
detail as possible.  A script(1) log or equivalent be best, if your setup
supports it.  When you run into a problem, try to determine what is wrong by
examining the state of the system--nobody can reproduce your particular setup
exactly.  Feel free to use the source code for boot-floppies at cvs.debian.org
to help you figure out what is wrong and how to fix it.  If you find a
solution, or if you can't, send as much information as you have to this mailing
list so that others can try to diagnose the problem.

> > you should install "potato" instead, and then upgrade to "woody",
>
> Meaning install from CD and the get the packages from the woody directory on the
> ftp site and just install them all?

No, you should use APT (or dselect, if you're comfortable with it) to perform
the upgrade.  Install from CD, then edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to
"woody" instead of "stable" (refer to the man page).  Then use the commands:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

This procedure will download and install all necessary packages for the
upgrade.

--
 - mdz