woddy from disk install problem

Hi,

I have an install problem with woddy and would appreciate help to get it
fixed.

Background:

I hav a system with 2 hard drives, one scsi (sda1-4) and one ide
(hda1-4). My currently running Linux system runs of the scsi drive and I
am trying to install woddy onto the ide drive. I created the rescue,
root and driver floppies, and all of thie is working. I downloaded all
the packages in main/binary-i386 and contrib/binary-i386 and placed them
on the ide drive where I want to install woddy.

When I am using my running system, as right now I mount the ide drive as
/ideDr as follows

# mount /dev/hda1 /ideDr/

# mount /dev/hda4 /ideDr/usr

and listing the distribution directory produces the following

# ls /ideDr/usr/dists/woddy/main/binary-i386/

Packages     base   editors      hamradio      math  oldlibs    sound  web

Packages.gz  comm   electronics  interpreters  misc  otherosfs  tex    x11

Release      devel  games        libs          net   science    text

admin        doc    graphics     mail          news  shells     utils

According to my thinking this is all I should need, as this is
everything that's on the ftp site. However, according to the
installation program I am doing something wrong.

Here are the steps I am following:

1.) boot the system from the rescue floppy
2.) load the root file system from the second floppy
3.) configure keyboard
4.) initialize the swap space
5.) mount /dev/hda1 to /
6.) mount /dev/hda3 to /home
7.) mount /dev/hda4 to /usr
8.) install the kernel and modules from the rescue floppy
9.) try to install the base system

and this is where things go wrong. When I try to let the installer find
the release directory it is not found. When I point the installer to
/target the release packages are not found. When I point the installer
to /target/usr the release packages are not found. WHen I provide the
full path i.e. /target/usr/dists/woddy/main/binary-i386 the stuff still
isn't found. In all cases I get the following message:

path

does not contain the file dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Release

When I browse the directory tree I can see everything in
/target/usr/dists/woddy/main/binary-i386 except for the Packages,
Packages.gz and Release files. It is like they have miracalously
disappeared. I don't get it.

I tried changing the permissions of the Release file but that didn't
help

#ls -l /ideDr/usr/dists/woddy/main/binary-i386/Release

-rwxrwxrwx    1 rjschwei users          81 Jul 17 22:05 /ideDr/usr/dists/woddy/main/binary-i386/Release

The file is the same as on the ftp site

# cat /ideDr/usr/dists/woddy/main/binary-i386/Release

Archive: testing

Component: main

Origin: Debian

Label: Debian

Architecture: i386

This certainly beats the hell out of me. Any suggestions? I cannot put
the packages on my scsi drive as I am running the 2.4.3 kernel there
using the XFS file system which is not recognized by the kernel on the
rescue floppy.

I would really like to get this going so I can create some packages and
start the developer/maintainer application process.

Help is appreciated.
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                      MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
rjschwei@mindspring.com                         LINUX