Re: woddy from disk install problem

Hi Robert,

> After correcting my fat fingering and downloading the "Release" and "Release.gpg"
> file from the ftp site I now get the message
>
> "Malformed release file /target/usr/woody/Release"

wierd

> > Note that unless you are interested in helping to debug the installation
> > process,
>
> I'll be happy to help. Is there a procedure I should follow and if so where is it
> documented?

Cool.  You've thrown us a curve ball b/c we haven't been doing
installations the way you are trying to proceed.  That doesnt' mean you are
wrong, just the boot-floppies isn't stable yet.  Not having the most up to
date .deb archive (you say your archive is 2 weeks old) may cause you
problems because packages are changing every day.

To start helping there are some documents in boot-floppies cvs :
http://cvs.debian.org/

> > you should install "potato" instead, and then upgrade to "woody",
>
> Meaning install from CD and the get the packages from the woody directory on the
> ftp site and just install them all?
>
> > or wait until "woody" is released.
>
> Patience is not my strongest character trait when it comes to waiting for
> releases. Plus I do want to get started with the application process which means,
> according to the recommendations I should be familiar with what I want to do
> before I start the whole thing. To me this means packaging up the stuff I would
> like to maintain.

If you are really impatient you could try running debootstrap manually from
within the installer (there is the 'Execute a Shell' option) and then
hacking when things don't work, I don't know how far that would get you
though.  debootstrap is just some shell scripts so in principle you can
work around many issues like it complaining about the Release file.

David