Re: APUS Debian Boot-Floppies Images and bugs

Sven LUTHER wrote:

> > I am trying to understand why...
> > For an 880k floppy the space problem makes impossible to do it.
> > But i wish to be contraddicted... :))
>
> Well, we could split the kernel in 2 and join it in ram: before launching
> it. Or we could try for a less than 880Ko modular kernel, but i have not big
> hopes on this one.

I am experimenting, and it looks promising. I basically moved everything
except video and disk drivers to modules and here's what it gives so far:

michdaen@pismo> gzip -cv9 vmlinux > vmapus.gz               ~/src/apus-cvs/2.4
vmlinux:		 60.1%
michdaen@pismo> ll vmapus.gz                                ~/src/apus-cvs/2.4
-rw-r--r--    1 michdaen src        888321 May 16 19:49 vmapus.gz
michdaen@pismo> du -k vmapus.gz                             ~/src/apus-cvs/2.4
868	vmapus.gz

Is this small enough? I guess I could squeeze out a few more K...

Do we need support for foreign partition maps?

Do the fbcon packed pixels modules work?

Do we need Minix fs support yet?

The other side of the story will probably be the space needed for the
modules...