Re: APUS Debian Boot-Floppies Images and bugs

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 07:58:06PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Sven LUTHER wrote:
>
> > > I am trying to understand why...
> > > For an 880k floppy the space problem makes impossible to do it.
> > > But i wish to be contraddicted... :))
> >
> > Well, we could split the kernel in 2 and join it in ram: before launching
> > it. Or we could try for a less than 880Ko modular kernel, but i have not big
> > hopes on this one.
>
> I am experimenting, and it looks promising. I basically moved everything
> except video and disk drivers to modules and here's what it gives so far:
>
> michdaen@pismo> gzip -cv9 vmlinux > vmapus.gz               ~/src/apus-cvs/2.4
> vmlinux:		 60.1%
> michdaen@pismo> ll vmapus.gz                                ~/src/apus-cvs/2.4
> -rw-r--r--    1 michdaen src        888321 May 16 19:49 vmapus.gz
> michdaen@pismo> du -k vmapus.gz                             ~/src/apus-cvs/2.4
> 868	vmapus.gz

mmm, a bit just maybe, will it fit with amiboot and the script ?

But, we definitively need 2 batches of kernels, since i suppose some guys
would want the networking stuff also. They can use the non floppy version
though.

> Is this small enough? I guess I could squeeze out a few more K...
>
> Do we need support for foreign partition maps?

not really, they could be modules.

> Do the fbcon packed pixels modules work?
>
> Do we need Minix fs support yet?

Not anymore, since now root images are ext2 fs, not minix, but i am not sure,
please someone confirm this.

> The other side of the story will probably be the space needed for the
> modules...

That's no problem, the infrastructure is there already for splitten
modules.tgz file, they come in 3 floppies for i386. i guess the module reading
and joining is size independent, we just would need to add the stuff to cut it
in 880 or 720 Ko chunks (but i386 already support 1.44, 1.2 and 2.88 ones, so
the stuff is in there already).

Friendly,

Sven Luther