Re: woody boot floppies

On Tue Jan 09, 2001 at 11:31:45AM -0800, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> true. if the reiserfs partition is mounted w/o the nottail option, then
> LILO notices holes in the map file. (other partition types may also
> benefit, such as qmail mail queue partitions). my current disks notice
> this and ask if the partition should be mounted with notail.
>
> (however, i have found that remounting with notail _does_ _not_ _work_)

If you mounted a partition, write stuff, then remounted with notail,
then only stuff you write after the remount will be de-tailed.  So
if you, for example, copied in your kernel prior to the remount,
your kernel has a tail.

To ensure all is well, remount, cp the kernel to a new file, then
use the new file.  Painful, but there is no other way to be sure.

> GRUB as a bootloader (newer versions) can read a ReiserFS partition
> directly. if we are going to move to GRUB, this may be a non-issue.

Agreed.  For folks using reiserfs grub is much nicer,

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen@lineo.com