Re: woody boot floppies

"John H. Robinson, IV" <jhriv@ucsd.edu> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 11:08:53AM -0800, Rob wrote:
> >
> > IIRC, ReiserFS had some issues with NFS last time I used it..
> > This may have been corrected by now, but 5 months ago or so the
> > consensus was "don't use NFS with ReiserFS".
>
> i have had no problems with ReiserFS and NFS. i have exported ReiserFS
> via nfs for many months now with no problems at all.
>
> i have not tried the newer NFS3 code yet, however.
> (current kernels are 2.2.16 on the server and 2.2.18 on the client)

Sounds like a non-issue, since I think bf is sticking with kernel
2.2.x.

> > Also, lilo must have the -notail option in order to boot a
> > ReiserFS ( non-ext2fs even? ) partition.
>
> true. if the reiserfs partition is mounted w/o the nottail option, then
> LILO notices holes in the map file. (other partition types may also
> benefit, such as qmail mail queue partitions). my current disks notice
> this and ask if the partition should be mounted with notail.

Well, does it hurt to mount with -notail in cases when you are *not*
using ResierFS?

Anyhow, we could get the lilo configuration stuff to do this
automatically, I guess.

> GRUB as a bootloader (newer versions) can read a ReiserFS partition
> directly. if we are going to move to GRUB, this may be a non-issue.

That might be nice, if someone could get it to work on all arches and
work well. Or even just for i386.  But I'm not trying to be ambitious
for woody -- that's what debian-installer is for.