Re: PCI autodetection

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 04:20:23PM -0400, Will Lowe wrote:
> I've put together (from pciutils and Redhat's anaconda) a small program
> that asks the kernel about devices on the PCI bus and loads (or lists )the
> needed driver modules.  This hopefully enables NIC autodetection for
> anyone who's using a PCI nic.
>
> You can grab the current version of the code from (please read the README)
> http://openrock.net/~lowe/pcidetect/
>
> I'm in the midst of building a patch against boot-floppies that will run
> the autoprober first by default and then allow users to manually configure
> additional modules; hopefully I'll be done with that in the next day or
> two.

Please don't forget that debian supports machines without pci bus. What would
your changes to boot floppies do if this is the case ?

Also, it would be nice to add support for other kind of buses. zorro for amiga
like hardware (you can use zorroutils i guess) for example. I think other
supported non pci bus include the sbus based sparc boxes. Don't know about
those though.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER