Re: [woody] modules for debian-installer (Re: the next step)

Taketoshi Sano wrote:
> > * base tarball installer
>
> Is "base tarball" required for woody debian-installer ?
>
> I think if we can use network to retrieve packages, then
> we can use the fresh archive itself, rather than old base
> part of the archive which was frozen into tar-ball.

Yes, we can certianly try to do this eventually. However, take a look at
all the disgusting stuff basedisks.sh has to do in the boot-floppies to
create a debian base system. A lot of packages need to be cleaned up
before we can just dpkg -i `cat base-debs` and have it work. I'd prefer
to go with something that already works here to save time on the first
cut.

> > * lilo setup
>
> I've also heard that the grub is better.  Do you think (as the leader
> of woody installer team) the lilo will be still the default kernel
> loader for woody ?

Maybe I shouldn't have written lilo there. I have no preference. Whoever
writes this module for the first cut can decide. If you'd like it to be
grub...

--
see shy jo