Re: the next step

Erik Andersen wrote:
> Where do we upload things to?  Can we get an archive area?  I've had busybox
> .debs ready for months now...

And I've had bug #66604 open for months too. I need to track down some
of the ftp maintainers and get this set up. I'll try to do that this
weekend.

> I've got a tiny little wget in busybox now -- I'd be happy to make
> any changes wanted to handle the "http retriever" task.

Maybe we can use it as the actual engine of the retreiver. The
retreivers though have to all use a standard interface, and I think it
makes sense to make a special module for the glue code.

Does your wget support resumes? How about download progress reporting in
an easily machine-parsable format?

> For that "base tarball
> installer" task, any reason not to use busybox tar, or is there somehow
> more to it?

It's clearly going to use busybox tar. But rather as with the http
retreiver, there will probably be a certian amount of glue code that is
best broken out into a module. Especially if it has to deal with configuring
something or other in the unpacked base tarball.

> Do you know what tools we do and do not want included?

Not yet. Exactly what we'll need will be one of the later things to be
worked out in the second month, when we're integrating everything.

It seems likely that we will want to be able to build subsets of busybox
as seperate modules. For example, if we're going to use the busybox wget
as the engine of the http retreiver, then it needs to be on the boot
floppy(ies), and we can't afford to put most of the rest of busybox on
there. But we'd probably like to have busybox tar and gzip and probably a
lot of other stuff available later on in the install process, so the
retreiver will likely download a more complete busybox module with more
stuff in it and overwrite the first one with it.

Is this going to work for you? I understand it might add a bit of pain
to the debian busybox build process.

Oh, I should mention, I'm figuring just the following stuff will be on
the boot floppy:

- kernel (with ramdisk driver, tcp/ip support and nothing much else built in)
- init & glue code
- udpkg
- udebconf
- main menu support
- network drivers
- network configurator
- http retreiver
- whatever busybox programs the above needs

Everything else gets downloaded. Whether this will really fit on 1
floppy is going to be interesting to find out..

--
see shy jo