[woody] modules for debian-installer (Re: the next step)

May I ask some questions ?

In <[🔎] 20000928183600.A10551@kitenet.net>,  on Thu, 28 Sep 2000 18:36:00 -0700,
    on the next step, Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:

> I picked this configuration because:
> * It's easy to develop for -- it's easy to write a floppy and boot it,
>   easing the test cycle.
> * The hardware is pretty common so a lot of people will be able to
>   participate.
> * It's pretty cool, especially if we fit it on one floppy.

I think this plan is reasonable.

> My target for a working first cut at the installer supporting the above
> configuration is 2 months from now, at the start of December. That's a
> pretty close date. Here are the main pieces that are required:

> * base tarball creator (don't have to write, we can just use
>   boot-floppies to make base tarballs for the first cut)

> * base tarball installer

Is "base tarball" required for woody debian-installer ?

I think if we can use network to retrieve packages, then
we can use the fresh archive itself, rather than old base
part of the archive which was frozen into tar-ball.

Maybe some "base (or installer) package list" in "http retriever"
module or "mini debconf" module can be used to specify the required
packages to be installed as "base packages".  Using this scheme,
the change in directory structure of the archive won't affect the
installer much.  Just reflect the change into "package list".

> * kernel build (with modules)

I've heard that kernel package for woody will use initrd.
Herbert may have something to say for this.

> * lilo setup

I've also heard that the grub is better.  Do you think (as the leader
of woody installer team) the lilo will be still the default kernel
loader for woody ?

> * library reduction

Some arch can not use this.  The scheme should not rely on this, IMHO.
 (using it as a special bonus will be no problem, but make it
  requirement will have difficulties.)

> * main menu generation code

Please make it utf-8 ready for i18n.

Thanks.