Re: DHCP and /boot

William Cordis <whcordis@host-0080C84B1ED9.public.southern.edu> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 10:04:28AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > > 1.  DHCP doesn't work correctly, all the information is recieved, the
> > > interface goes up, the route's are correct, but no DNS.  No matter what
> > > I do.  I checked /etc/resolv.conf, nothing there.  The information is in
> > > /tmp/resolv.conf but even if I manually set up the device afterward it doesn't
> > > work.  It works fine if I set it up manually the first time with the same info
> > > as it recieves from the DHCP server.

If it broken in Potato it must have happened quite recently.

> > That's a general problem then, I suspect.

Or just sparc version?

> Are you saying I should file a bug or would you like me to do some
> debuging. I don't really have to get this machine up and running
> right now so if you have something you want me to try or look for I
> could do it.

Please do file a big fat bug.  Boot with the 'debug' flag.  If you
can, submit /var/log/messages there (with the dbootstrap log) with the
report.  If not, then look thru /var/log/messages for clues and
include that musing in the report.

> > > Is there something I'm missing in the install guide....
> >
> > Yeah, don't make a seperate /boot partition. SILO is not like LILO. It
> > actually reads the ext2 filesystem directly. This is something I could not
> > solve in the boot-floppies easily, so you have to work around it. I don't
> > think you'll lose much by not having /boot on its own partition.

I don't think having /boot in a separate partition is a good idea
ever.  Should we deprecate that in the documentation?  Or just for
sparc?

William, can you file a diff. bug against the documentation to mention
this issue?

> Hrm.. Ok.  I somehow got the wrong message and thought I needed to keep
> the kernel below some cylinder number.  I'll try that. Thanks.

Ah, no, that is i386 BIOS hackery only.