Re: boot-floppies on amiga/apus. friday cvs version.

Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> no the modules are not set right, since we need loop.o to install the modules
> which are in rescue.bin. so this is a chicken and egg problem.

Then put loop.o on the root disk, just as we do on i386 for the module
enabling syslog.

> > >   * why not install the modules from drviers.tgz directly, if present, this
> > >     way there should be no need to do stuff with the loop device and
> > >     rescue.bin file. On apus and other arch/subarch who don't support lilo or
> > >     similar, rescue.bin is overkill anyway.
> >
> > Do not comprehend.
>
> Well, since there is no lilo, there is no need to install the kernel into
> /boot, since it will reside into an affs partition.

Still, you need the kernel from somewhere, don't you?

> Also the driver modules
> are pretty small, compared to i386, only 325928. So there is really no need to
> make people download a 1.4MB disk image, when the only reason to use it will
> be to umpack drivers.tgz.

Well, if it's so small, then it will be quick to download (the rest of
the image being zero padded, it should download quickly).

I really do not believe in special-casing our install procedure for
such minor gains.  The maintenance implications of what you are
proposing is monstrous -- and things are already monstrous.

> Also the kernel is available alone also (in
> subarch/linux).

Still, you need the kernel from somewhere, don't you?  Where do you
get it from if not rescue.bin ?

> > >   * once i hand insmodded loop.o from the drivers.tgz, i try to install os &
> > >     modules, but get a Can't mount the rescue floppy, i try to loop mount it
> > >     by hand, but it didn't work also, maybe the rescue.bin is broken
> > >   ?
> >
> > More likely m68k loop device is broken.  The CVS area has been
> > building pretty much fine all week.
>
> Well, no loop device works pretty well, i can mount the root partition, and
> build the whole stuff without problem. I more think it is brain dead i386
> centric rescue.bin behavior.

I think you just don't understand it.

Is it brain dead to depend on loop.o to be available in the kernel you
are booting with ?  I don't think so.  Even so, we allow extra kernel
modules on root.bin for arches which need it.   I can't understand why
any of this is i386 centric.

> BTW, i am running a ppc, not an m68k.

Then have you been talking to Daniel Jacobowitz?  You are telling me
very stubbornly that everything is broken and the sky is falling,
while he is telling me that it all works fine on ppc.

> > >   * With lots of other menus, when checking the state of the install, i get :
> > >
> > > 	libfdisk : error reading sector 538988403 : no such file or directory.
> >
> > Doens't seem to happen on other arches AFAIK.  Wierd.
>
> Well, it don't hinder the process or anything.
>
> but then maybe i have problem with my disk ...
>
> > >   * after all of this, when viewing the partition table, only part of the
> > >     table is shown, i have 7 partitions (amiga partitioning), and /dev/sda4 is
> > >     target for install, prior to mounting it, all of them get shown, but after
> > >     i only get partitions 1 to 3 shown, as well as a reference to sdb, which
> > >     has no partition table (being my super floppy syjet cartridge).
> >
> > Yikes.
>
> You said it.
>
> That said, unless someone else reports this and the preceding problem also, It
> could well be done to hardware problem on my setup. Since then it seems for
> some strange reason my scsi disk is no more wanting to be recognized (or more,
> my system won't boot when scsi is enabled and/or the disk present).
>
> Will try to get a ide disk to continue checking this.

Well, I'm not a powerpc user so I don't think I can shed any light
here.