Re: boot-floppies on amiga/apus. friday cvs version.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 08:35:35PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Sven LUTHER <luther@debian.org> writes:
>
> >   * the loop device stuff is braindead. I have the loop device as module, and
> >     naturally dbootstrap cannot mount rescue.bin since the loop module is not
> >     there. to momentarily solve this i unpacked the drivers.tgz file and
> >     insmoded the loop module. This could be handled automatically,
> >   isn't it.
>
> That's m68k brain-death, not boot-floppies. Works perfectly fine for
> me when loop.o is a module.  Assuming your modules are set up right.

Well, ...

no the modules are not set right, since we need loop.o to install the modules
which are in rescue.bin. so this is a chicken and egg problem.

> >   * why not install the modules from drviers.tgz directly, if present, this
> >     way there should be no need to do stuff with the loop device and
> >     rescue.bin file. On apus and other arch/subarch who don't support lilo or
> >     similar, rescue.bin is overkill anyway.
>
> Do not comprehend.

Well, since there is no lilo, there is no need to install the kernel into
/boot, since it will reside into an affs partition. Also the driver modules
are pretty small, compared to i386, only 325928. So there is really no need to
make people download a 1.4MB disk image, when the only reason to use it will
be to umpack drivers.tgz. Also the kernel is available alone also (in
subarch/linux).

> >   * once i hand insmodded loop.o from the drivers.tgz, i try to install os &
> >     modules, but get a Can't mount the rescue floppy, i try to loop mount it
> >     by hand, but it didn't work also, maybe the rescue.bin is broken
> >   ?
>
> More likely m68k loop device is broken.  The CVS area has been
> building pretty much fine all week.

Well, no loop device works pretty well, i can mount the root partition, and
build the whole stuff without problem. I more think it is brain dead i386
centric rescue.bin behavior.

BTW, i am running a ppc, not an m68k.

> >   * Well, as bug reported, my super floppy formated syjet isn't a valid
> >     mountable device. /proc/partitions shows :
> > 	8	16	1464900	sdb
>
> You need to follow up to the bug#.

This info is already in the bug report. just repeating it here.
In fact i cut&pasted it from the bug report :)))

> >   * With lots of other menus, when checking the state of the install, i get :
> >
> > 	libfdisk : error reading sector 538988403 : no such file or directory.
>
> Doens't seem to happen on other arches AFAIK.  Wierd.

Well, it don't hinder the process or anything.

but then maybe i have problem with my disk ...

> >   * after all of this, when viewing the partition table, only part of the
> >     table is shown, i have 7 partitions (amiga partitioning), and /dev/sda4 is
> >     target for install, prior to mounting it, all of them get shown, but after
> >     i only get partitions 1 to 3 shown, as well as a reference to sdb, which
> >     has no partition table (being my super floppy syjet cartridge).
>
> Yikes.

You said it.

That said, unless someone else reports this and the preceding problem also, It
could well be done to hardware problem on my setup. Since then it seems for
some strange reason my scsi disk is no more wanting to be recognized (or more,
my system won't boot when scsi is enabled and/or the disk present).

Will try to get a ide disk to continue checking this.

> > And naturally, there is the Arch2 renaming which was not properly done, but i
> > will now be fixing that.
>
> Ok.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER