Re: boot-floppies 2.2.9 report

Paul Slootman <paul@wau.mis.ah.nl> writes:

> I burnt a cdrom with boot-floppies 2.2.9 yesterday, and tested it just
> now. Results so far:

Please tell us what architecture you are using.  I assume i386, since
most of the ports seemed to need 2.2.10.

> - scsi cdrom was detected as /dev/sr0, but /dev/sr0 node doesn't exist.
>   I made a symlink /dev/sr0 -> scd0 to work around this.

Yurk.  This looks like a libfdisk bug or something?  I am pretty sure
the /dev/sr devices are deprecated for /dev/scd, at least according to
makedev.  I'm having a hard time determining which code is causing
this problem.

Sounds like a RC boot-floppies bug.

> - When the question is asked "Where inside the cdrom is the debian
>   archive located?" (words from memory, sorry) the prompt displays
>   "/instmnt", which most definitely isn't "inside" the cdrom, but in
>   fact the mount point of the cdrom. This is confusing, an "end user"
>   shouldn't have to be concerned about what the mountpoint is called.
>   Leave it out.

Others have complained about this.  I think the /instmnt should be
mentioned in the text caption, but not part of what the user is
selecting, so I agree.

Sounds like a wishlist boot-floppies bug.

> - When rebooting the first time from disk, all the pcmcia modules had
>   unresolved symbols.

File a bug on the pcmcia-modules-* pkg you were using.  This depends
on which flavor you were using.

> - When asked what access method to use (cdrom / http / ftp / manual
>   edit) I chose cdrom, and was subsequently prompted for the name of the
>   cdrom. The example was something like "Debian 2.1r4 cdrom 1", which is
>   (a) a wrong example to give as most end users will copy that, and
>   (b) not what the volume label is, which is reasonably easy to find out:
>         LABEL=`dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=1 skip=32808 count=32 | tr`
>       will do nicely.  I believe there's a specific tool for this
>       somewhere, but can't recall its name just now.

Um.  At what stage does this occur?  Looks like you should file a bug
against base-config I guess.

> - After the procedure scans the "index" files (I guess the Packages
>   files), it came back to the question of what access method to use
>   (cdrom / http / ftp / manual edit). By choosing "manual edit" and then
>   quitting ae it went onto the next phase.

This sounds like a nasty base-config problem.

> - in the Debian Task Installer (C Development / C++ Development / ...)
>   the "buttons" at the bottom say "QUIT / CANCEL / HELP" (not sure about
>   the CANCEL), and apparently the "QUIT" button is the one to choose to
>   continue. Not intuitive, "OK" or "CONTINUE" would be better.

File a wishlist against tasksel.

Really, it's only by filing bugs (one problem per bug please) that you
can be sure your reports will be (eventually) taken care of.