Re: Spring forward

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> writes:

> Now that the installation option to use the hardware clock as the local
> time is working, I wonder how this handles changes to clocks from daylight
> savings time.

Unix knows the hwclock is UTC and ajusts based on your timezone setting.

>  In the MS world there is an option about whether the system
> should adjust the clock for daylight savings.  Perhaps such a question
> should be added to the install process?

No.  The issue is simple:

   unix (by default) expects hwclock to be UTC, unless you say otherwise
   windows expects the hardware clock to be localtime

Thus on dual boot boxes you should set hwclock to localtime.
The tz issue raises no new issues.

> Also, I'm wondering what my computer will do tomorrow, when the clocks here
> go 1 hour forward (US).

Assuming your tz setting is right, Unix does fine.