boot-floppies 2.2.9 report

I burnt a cdrom with boot-floppies 2.2.9 yesterday, and tested it just
now. Results so far:

- scsi cdrom was detected as /dev/sr0, but /dev/sr0 node doesn't exist.
  I made a symlink /dev/sr0 -> scd0 to work around this.

- When the question is asked "Where inside the cdrom is the debian
  archive located?" (words from memory, sorry) the prompt displays
  "/instmnt", which most definitely isn't "inside" the cdrom, but in
  fact the mount point of the cdrom. This is confusing, an "end user"
  shouldn't have to be concerned about what the mountpoint is called.
  Leave it out.

- When rebooting the first time from disk, all the pcmcia modules had
  unresolved symbols.

- When asked what access method to use (cdrom / http / ftp / manual
  edit) I chose cdrom, and was subsequently prompted for the name of the
  cdrom. The example was something like "Debian 2.1r4 cdrom 1", which is
  (a) a wrong example to give as most end users will copy that, and
  (b) not what the volume label is, which is reasonably easy to find out:
        LABEL=`dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=1 skip=32808 count=32 | tr`
      will do nicely.  I believe there's a specific tool for this
      somewhere, but can't recall its name just now.

- After the procedure scans the "index" files (I guess the Packages
  files), it came back to the question of what access method to use
  (cdrom / http / ftp / manual edit). By choosing "manual edit" and then
  quitting ae it went onto the next phase.

- in the Debian Task Installer (C Development / C++ Development / ...)
  the "buttons" at the bottom say "QUIT / CANCEL / HELP" (not sure about
  the CANCEL), and apparently the "QUIT" button is the one to choose to
  continue. Not intuitive, "OK" or "CONTINUE" would be better.

That's it for now, momentarily still installing packages.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/