Re: Kernel size problems on Alpha

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 07:51:36PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Having network drivers compiled in is a *good* thing -- then you can
> install the OS and the modules via the network rather than using the
> rescue disk and the drivers disks.

So the netfetch stuff still requires the drivers to be in the kernel?

It strikes me that if there's extra space on the root disk (which there
definitely appears to be on all architectures), we could just put network
drivers on there (like we do for Unix domain sockets :).

This would of course mean that we'd have a separate configuration screen for
network drivers vs. other drivers.  And yes, I will volunteer to code this
if need be.  Personally I think it should just be integrated into the
"configure networking" step, and that step should be moved to the very
beginning of the install process.

Of course I haven't really been following boot-floppies developments for a
while until just today so feel free to shoot me down here :)