Re: New style raid support during install (was Re: kernel support, v0.36 v's v0.9)

On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 05:10:15PM -0500 , Adam Di Carlo wrote:
[snip]
> >  - binaries from the raidtools2.deb would nned to be in the base.tgz (84KB)
>
> Yikes -- that's a big big problem.  Is there any way we could shrink
> this?  Possibly a raidtools2-base package?

or maybe raidtools2-doc (for Software-RAID-HOWTO)

[sni]
> >  - Check /boot partition isnt on a /dev/md?
>
> Here you're trying to make sure that you have a boot partition which
> isn't RAID, since lilo doesn't understand RAID, right?

And the fiel can/will be on different disks physicaly, so you must teach lilo
RAID, not to mention the second stage loader. And of course for greater
RAID-{4,5} the data is transformed for redundancy. (grr. my english)

> Well, if we are freezing now, it is probably too late.  However,
> there's no reason why we can't update potato boot-floppies even after
> release, i.e., a point release.

hmm. we have plenty of time now (who should we beat?:))

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz