Re: An initrd proposal

Joey Hess <joey@varesearch.com> writes:

> Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > You have the problem here that you afterwards need a different kernel
> > for booting the resulting installation this might lead to ...
> >
> > "After the installation the system wont boot" ...
>
> Well one workaround would be for debian to use an initrd to boot, after
> installation, too. Of course, experienced users would build their own kernel
> and bypass it.
>
> Is that a crazy idea?
>
> I'm very impressed by Nils's message. I've been thinking along similar lines
> for months, mulling over the same ideas though I didn't come up with
> anything as concrete as Nils has.

The problem is size. You can only include a few modules together with
a generic all modules kernel. First you have to fit it onto the
resc1440.bin disk, which won´t fit with 2.2.x kernels and later you
have to select what modules to put on the initrd disk, but there's far
more space on that one, because the install stuff will be gone.

The main problem is to get it onto the resc1440.bin and I gave it up
to try such. You eigther need two disks or a 2.88 Mb disk image on a
CD to make this work for the installation.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin