initrd loading of boot-modules

Hi there

I am currently working on a extension to the debian kernel-package that
will allow modules needed for mounting the root partition to be loaded
from an initrd image. It works for me now (I am writing this on an IDE
system with ide compiled in as a module). I think that it will make life
easier for new users (RedHat does something similiar), especially on
scsi systems where sometimes you have to recompile the kernel. This
would enable us to use a really small kernel with just everything
compiled as a module and loaded before the root partition is mounted.
You can give the list of modules to load by a parameter on the kernel
command line. This parameter is parsed by my program which tries to load
every module listed there.
I already talked to the maintainer of the kernel-package and he wants to
have something in there. In my opinion the cleanest way was if the
kernel-package just created a general initrd image and includes it in
the kernel package. My script "mkinitrd" is just for this purpose,
because I like a general image better than RedHat's way where every user
has to create a specialized initrd file.

You can find the current version (is very stable on my system but has a
cosmetical bug) under:
ftp://ftp.vianova.at/pub/debian-experimental/initrd/mkinitrd-0.2.tar.gz

If this extension makes it into the distribution, a small modification
would have to be made on the boot floppies: The parameter I mention must
be set. This should be easy as the required modules will already be
loaded for the base system to be installed.

I would like to hear what you think about this. My company is producing
a debian-based firewall (which will be released under the gpl)
distribution and I will definitely use the initrd images for booting it.
I do not want to recompiled kernel for scsi controller support (most
firewall have scsi) and I think that new users do not want to do so
either.
Maybe this extension will make it into debian (I hope so), please let me
hear all suggestions, objections and flames :-)

PS: Please reply directly to me as I am not subsribed to debian-boot.

Rene