Re: autodectection of modules at boot time

In message <[🔎] 19991022182441.E5993@tausq.org> you wrote:
>xvidetect was installed into the archives yesterday, so you should be able
>to get it from your favorite mirror. Please note that the copy in the
>archive is slightly different from the one that's in my homedir on master.
>(it uses /usr/share/doc instead of /usr/doc)

Excellent.

>> Um, would it be possible to somehow integrate this with xserver-common
>> such that after installation, we could add a task to run xviddetect
>> and automatically pick the right xserver-* package for installation?
>
>I have spoken to Branden about this. The feeling seems to be that this
>belongs to boot floppies. It doesn't matter to me really... whatever works
>best.

Ok -- hum.  Someone with X experience would have to tell us what
packages we need to pull in.  I know of the xserver-common, and
the dynamic detection of xserver-*, then the depends for that
will pull in much.  A standard X "profile" would include xcontrib
and standard client pkgs, etc.

>> Randolph, you would be interested in workthig this out with us and
>> hopefully with the X Window System team?
>
>Yes, fwiw I am on both -boot and -x. The question is, can we get this in
>before the freeze?

Well, remember, I would like to be able to continue to correct/improve
boot-floppies even after release times.  I see no reason why not so
long as people have stable systems to build on.

Also remember my notion, more and more plausible, that we won't
freeze until Jan 1.  I cerntainly don't see how a release is possible
before Feb 1.

>I'll be on irc on and off this evening and over the
>weekend, if you need to get in touch with me real time.

I can't.  I'm travelleing all this weekend, not back until Wednesday.

>It'd be great if we
>can get this in. One concern though is that it really only works well for
>i386 at the moment.

Don't you mean it only works for PCI video cards?  I tested it on
sparc (ultra5, mach64 video chip) and it worked great.  Remember that
PPC, new Sparcs, etc are all PCI.

>The good thing perhaps is that the other archs have a
>much smaller number of X servers, and the typical {alpha,sparc,m68k,ppc}
>user is probably more knowledgable about what to pick anyway.

Yes -- to be cute, on Sparc/SBUS machines, you should be able to detect
the proper video card from proc.  Not sure on the details -- ask the
right lists.  Not sure about m68k.

Anyhow, if it works, great, if not, oh well we tried.

A solution that works for 70% of the time is a success, in my book.
Right now people have no where at all to turn...