Re: Busybox update

On Fri Oct 22, 1999 at 03:52:26PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Erik Andersen <andersen@xmission.com> writes:
>
> > Well, for my part, anything that can feasibly be shrunk, and is a tool
> > useful for boot floppies, rescue disks, embedded systems, etc. is a
> > worthy candidate for busyboxing.
>
> I agree with you.  Practically speaking, however, I have to put the
> interests of boot-floppies above the pure interested of embedded
> systems, etc.  We have a release coming up soon and I don't want to
> delay that.

Sure, I understand. If you find anything lacking or broken in busybox
that slows things down, I'll have it fixed within a few hours. I _wan't_
the boot floppies to be really nice -- sure I work for Lineo, but I was
a debian guy long before I came here....

> > I put together a regexp lib last night that takes a whole 3.9k when
> > compiled, and will be the bases for the new mini-sed that should weigh
> > in a tad lighter than the 44k of GNU sed. I'm sure somebody can then put
> > those bytes to better use.
>
> Have you looked at Tom's sed from Tom's boot disks? He's insane -- I
> think they have a sed there and then they implement all sorts of crazy
> stuff as sed scripts.

Hmm.  Sounds worthy of checking out.  I'll take a close look.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org