Re: Busybox update

Erik Andersen <andersen@xmission.com> writes:

> Well, for my part, anything that can feasibly be shrunk, and is a tool
> useful for boot floppies, rescue disks, embedded systems, etc. is a
> worthy candidate for busyboxing.

I agree with you.  Practically speaking, however, I have to put the
interests of boot-floppies above the pure interested of embedded
systems, etc.  We have a release coming up soon and I don't want to
delay that.

> > Erik, speaking for boot-floppies, all I can point out is that sed
> > would be useful (we currently ship it as some kinda gross hack on the
> > drivers disk -- well, at least we used to).  Be clear that Goswin does
> > not represent in any way the boot-floppies team.
>
> I put together a regexp lib last night that takes a whole 3.9k when
> compiled, and will be the bases for the new mini-sed that should weigh
> in a tad lighter than the 44k of GNU sed. I'm sure somebody can then put
> those bytes to better use.

Have you looked at Tom's sed from Tom's boot disks? He's insane -- I
think they have a sed there and then they implement all sorts of crazy
stuff as sed scripts.

> > I'm pretty sure we don't need insmod/modprobe/depmod (though I might
> > be wrong).
>
> Well, I know they are used by modconf, right?

Yes.

> Anyway, I'll check them out and see if they are worth messing with.

Yes -- perhaps it's easy enough to replace them and thus save space on
the root filesystem.