Re: keymap conf & Co

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 12:29:38AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> > And isn't this the reason perl is in base to begin with?
>
> Um... not... perl-base is in base because maintainer scripts use it as
> an interpreter.  I thought if you use debconf, your maintainer scripts
> will still work without it... (or else you need a pre-depends on
> debconf I guess).

No they won't. From /usr/doc/debconf/tutorial.txt:

|  Getting started
|  ---------------
|
|  First, your package must depend on debconf (or pre-depend on
|  it if it uses debconf in its preinst). This is necessary
|  since debconf isn't part of the base system.

But even if they did, this would somewhat defeat the point.

The point of debconf is making maintainer scripts more friendly
and/or less noisy. This could be a very cool feature of potato
for us to hype about - think PR-like for a second ;-)

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.