Re: keymap conf & Co

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 01:34:05AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Yann Dirson <ydirson@multimania.com> writes:
>
> > Just to let you know: I've started converting console-tools/data to
> > use debconf.  Maybe you'll be interested in that.  Maybe it could
> > serve as a base for unifying the keymap selection at bootstrap-time
> > and at later times.
>
> Does this mean we're definately moving debconf into base?  I think
> there are some issues with that...
>
> Mind you, I love the idea of debconf.  I just worry that if we move it
> into base for potato we're going to end up gumming up the potato
> release.  Thoughts?

I may be talking nonsense here, but a lot of packages use
debconf for their postinst configuration, don't they? Isn't
this exactly the point of debconf?

And isn't this the reason perl is in base to begin with?

So, IMHO, of course we'll have to have debconf in base and gum
up the potato release. It might well be worth it, since debconf
will probably be a very nice surprise for users and one of the
most significant potato features.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----